By Olivia Werenski ’17 / Champlain College News
Burlington, VT - Former Champlain College Distinguished Citizen Award recipient, Win Smith Jr, announced the release of his new self-published book “Catching Lightning in a Bottle,” marking the 100th anniversary of Smith’s former employer, Merrill Lynch, where he served as Executive Vice President until 2001.
The book serves as a history of the company, the background of the Smith family, as well as details about its values and advice for getting through the tough of financial situations.
Smith, owner of the Sugarbush Resort, will talk about the book and his 28-years at Merrill Lynch on Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. in Champlain College’s Alumni Auditorium. He will also be available for book signing after the talk.
Smith is a member of Champlain College’s Bring Your Own Business (BYOBiz) Executive Advisory Board, is the Chairman of the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce, and is a member of several other boards including the Vermont Ski Areas Association, the Vermont Business Roundtable, and the National Ski Areas Association.
Smith’s past philanthropic activities include serving on the boards of the United Nations Association of the USA, Outward Bound, the New York City Ballet, Cancer Research Institute, The Japan Society, and the Winthrop H. Smith Memorial Foundation. Smith is currently a director of Eaton Vance Corporation in Boston as well as AGF Management Limited and Richardson GMP in Toronto and Richardson Financial Group in Winnipeg, Canada.
Smith and his wife, Lili Ruane, live in Warren, Vt. He received the Champlain College Distinguished Citizen Award in 2012.
- 7Days: Sugarbush Owner, Former Merrill Lynch Exec Win Smith Writes Book
- The Economist: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/a-history-of-merrill-lynch-when-finance-was-for-the-99-2014-1
- Fox Business: http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/3018986709001/the-rise-and-fall-of-merrill-lynch/#sp=show-clips
- CNBC: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000231937&play=1
- Bloomberg Radio: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-06/son-of-merrill-lynch-founder-smith-discusses-new-book-audio-.html
- Reuters TV: http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/01/06/reuters-tv-the-exchange-happy-birthday-mother-merri?videoId=276326479&videoChannel=117785